KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Glenn Barnas - Beta testing with Task Scheduler Script

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Glenn Barnas - Beta testing with Task Scheduler Script Reply with quote

Firstly, I must say that your Task Scheduler script is downright awesome. It's one of about four or five scripts that I've seen lately that just knocked my socks off. To be honest, the scripts that I'm seeing produced these days, even at this early stage of Kixforms development, have far surpassed even where I had hoped Kixtart/Kixforms scripting could/would evolve to. Hats off to you and the other developers.

And the most amazing thing (to me anyways) is that these scripts were developed with very little in the way of documentation. The blame for lack of documentation rests squarely on my shoulders. Its an inexcusable oversight that I am desperately trying to remedy. I truely believe that once the documentation "catches up" with the library, it will attract more developers to our site and the flow of ideas and the evolution of library will accerate even more.

The purpose of this note is just to let you know that I'm using your Task Scheduler script to beta test the new GroupBox object. From looking at the code, all the right things have been done in terms of migrating over to the new object. Controls created inside the old Frame have been created as "children of the frame" ... well mostly anyways ...

There is one button - the "Query" button next to the "Server" textbox, that was created as a child of the form. I figured that since you created all the other controls differently, that this was just an oversight on your part. When I ported your code over to GroupBox - the Query button was hidden behind the GroupBox (because as we know, the GroupBox is not transparent). Other than that one thing - every looked really great. All i did was do a global string replace of "Frame" -> "GroupBox".

The other "feature" I built into the new GroupBox object (and this leads to me to one of the reasons I chose your script to test with) was that for GroupBoxes that have no Captions (which you have quite a few) - the resulting border gets "moved up" to the top of the control (I think it looks better that way) and what this allows is that one doesn't have to "account" for that extra bit of space that is required to position controls inside the frame ... hope you know what I'm talking about. The bottom line with this is that when the GroupBox goes out - you might have to resize (shrink) those caption-less frames by a pixel or two to give back the "look and feel" you have in the current version.

Bottom line request if I may - can you fix that Query button to be a child of the frame instead of the form ? That would help me in the short-term when I pull your lastest and greatest for beta testing.

KiXforms Regular
KiXforms Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I'm honored! Shocked

You're right - I missed that control when I moved to using frames. I've changed and tested the Query control. The latest version is posted, but I have not repackaged the ZIP file yet. This tool has gotten very heavy use in our environment this week, updating or creating nearly 300 tasks on 160+ servers - I've made a few minor changes and found some documentation issues.. I should have the docs updated and latest version packaged by Sunday night.

Would you prefer to work with my development version, where every function is a separate file? There's a build script that brings it together. I find it easier to work on smaller files.

The lack of docs has been a bit frustrating at times, requiring me to ask questions here or on KORG.. Everyone's been very helpful, but I prefer to RTFM when possible.

Feel free to contact me if you want any specific changes for the beta..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Script Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: