KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Login Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean F
KiXforms Dabbler
KiXforms Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of you "skilled" scripters wouldn't mind posting why GOTO's are so evil so the rest of us "non-quals" can learn from your wisdom. Wink

-Dean F. Arrow Another ex-Coner and Target Hunter.
Sealeopard
KiXforms Aficionado
KiXforms Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read for example Starting Out: The Great Goto Debate or Go To Statement Considered Harmful. There are a lot more articles about this on the web.

'There are two kinds of vessels, submarines and targets.'
Dean F
KiXforms Dabbler
KiXforms Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: GOTO - The Good and Evil Reply with quote

Thanks! That helps confirm what I was suspecting in why GOTO's are considered to be evil by some. And I can totally see why.

I specifically like the following lines from Starting Out: The Great Goto Debate (http://www.atarimagazines.com/v5n6/GOTODebate.html). This is what drove it home for me. Idea
Quote:
None of us is perfect, so we make mistakes. And other people cannot read our minds. This is an important point, because computer programs are nothing more than the crystallization of the programmer's thought processes saved on disk.

Think about that for a second. It is the programmer who must break each task down into its various parts and then select the appropriate machine instructions which appear to accomplish the job.

One of the beautiful aspects of programming computers is that for any problem, there are at least as many solutions as there are programmers working on it. An answer that seems perfectly clear to you could stop other programmers dead in their tracks. There must be some way to group instructions together so that someone else can follow the original programmer's thoughts without undue confusion.

I hope others can learn something from this. Mr. Green

Thanks again for everyone's assistance,

-Dean F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Script Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: